Sunday, November 16, 2008

Twinkle Toes and My Dancing Queen

Since the first time in being in Pittsburgh, Abby and I decided to do something a little out of character...get off our couch. As Abby was driving home from work one day say a sign for ballroom dance lessons and she decided that she would ask me if I would be up to it. If any of you know me, i am all for the ballroom dance stuff, in fact i took a trimester of it when i was still in high school. As we passed by this place again on Wednesday night to go to our local Wal-Mart, she got the phone number and called. We made an appointment to come in Friday for a free preview lesson. So when Friday night came, we decided to get all dressed up and go to our first dance lesson. The gentleman, David (the owner) showed us around and took us downstairs for our first lesson with Lisa. David also mentioned that he was so excited to see a new young couple out doing things together, because as he put it, "Usually this is where people come when they are on the brink of divorce..." Well that is certainly not us...unless Abby knows something i don't...Abby???

That night we learned (i re-learned) the basic box steps to the Fox-Trot, Rumba, Jitter-bug, and a smidgen of the Merengue. The biggest obstacle that we are going to have to overcome in our dancing is the part that Abby has trouble letting me lead her (big surprise, NOT!) , yeah that's right i am bringing back NOT...don't call it a comeback. I told her that she leads me everywhere else, she can relinquish control on the dance floor. She graciously obliged. After our lesson David invited us to come back at nine for the Practice Session, which is basically a code word for "Party". All these people show up and the studio teachers play music and you drink, eat and dance. It was a ton of fun. In fact it was so much fun that we met a great new group of people out here: this wonderful couple, Jim and Joan, Twan (our resident ER Dr.), and David and Ashley, who are the owners. After the practice session Jim and Joan and Twan invitied us out to this little bar/restaurant to enjoy some drinks and dancing. We arrived at the restaurant at about 10:30 and proceed to drink, dance and laugh till about 2:30 in the morning. Abby and I haven't been up or out that late since we started dating. We just had so much fun. Everytime we meet new people, Abby always gets the, "You look like my friend," and for the first time in my life i got the comment, "You have a face where people just want to kiss your ass." Thank you David, but i am not quite sure what that means...Abby sure doesn't think so. Love you, Abby.

Today (Sunday) we are going to support our new friends at a showcase at the Hilton. This is our little version of Dancing with the Stars, where everyone gets dressed up in costume and performs that routines that they have been working on for the last 3 months. Hopefully, Abby and I will perform in the one next spring. Our next lesson is going to be next Friday, right before another "Practice Session/Party". We keep all of you informed of our progress, and hopefully get some pictures up so that you can see us cutting up the rug.

8 comments:

Melissa Mae Johnson said...

I'm so jealous! I would love to take dance lessons with Tom. You guys HAVE to post pictures!

Malissa said...

I am glad that you have met some good people! That sounds like so much fun..go dance the night away!

Telina said...

I am so happy for you guys! You guys would be perfect on the dance floor too! When I come visit, you best be taking me to that bar and let me see you guys dance. I love you both so much. Thanks for everything! I meant to call yesterday but I was sick! Love you. Miss you SO much.

Chris & Breanne Coccimiglio said...

How fun! I have been telling Chris we need to get some people together and take them. He told me to find where and he would be down but I have just been lazy and haven't looked. But you guys inspired me so I am going to. ha ha. How are you guys? I found your blog through Stef and Jason's! Hope all is well! :)

Jason and Stefanie Burt said...

Wow!! I am impressed. You know I would love to do that but I dont think Jason would be caught dead... Eric rub off on him a little when you come to visit!

tanya said...

Okay, what are you trying to dance better then Nick and I cause I could of told you already that you do! :) Glad you signed up and are enjoying it. Sorry you missed last friday hopefully back to your dancing feet after Thanksgiving. Miss you guys!

*~**~Matina & Kamie~**~* said...

How fun! I bet you guys are darling on the floor!! Miss you Abby!

Vernos said...

How fun! I hope to see you two on dancing with the stars soon! I wish Ry would get into that, but it'd just be pretty hilarious sight I'm sure!