Thursday, July 17, 2008

Take or Bring...What is your opinion?

For the past few months i have been stewing over a certain grammatical faux pas. I need to know for a fact whether it is 'take' or 'bring'. Each verb have there uses and being the diplomatic person that i am, i like to make sure that i am using each fairly, as not to upset the Lexicon gods...anyway...read this next sentence and tell me which one is the proper use because it has been killing me!!!!!

"I am bringing Abby lunch."

or

"I am taking Abby lunch."

Let's take a vote and settle this for once!!!

3 comments:

Telina said...

wow what a deep question! haha
Iwould have to say...."I am bringing Abby Lunch"

KaSeY said...

things that make you go hmmmm...i will go with "I am taking Abby lunch" :-) but no matter how you put it...as long as it is village baker that you are bringing or taking i think you will have a happy wife!

Nick said...

Clearly the correct word here is "bringing." The word taking would only be correct if it was qualified with a location. For example: "I am taking lunch FROM VILLAGE BAKER to Abby." Here the subject is taking lunch from a location. However when you use the word "bringing" within the sentence in question, no qualifier is needed. To bring means to carry, convey, conduct, or cause (someone or something) to come with. In this case that something is lunch. With that said (and eloquently I might add) you can bring somebody lunch, or even their fantasy football winnings from last year (hint hint). It would be IMPOSSIBLE to take lunch to some one. Long story short, take needs a qualifier, bring doesn't. The end. Case closed. Go Red Sox.